Thursday, October 18, 2007

Decisions on Hearing Loss Disorder

I have been thinking for a week or so now trying to decide what to do about my hearing situation. I have not had the appt with the surgeon yet, however I do not think that is the way I am going to go. I have been weighing out all the options I know of right now between the two choices, hearing aids or surgery. The hearing aids are definitely the front runner right now not only will it be an instant gratification of sorts, there is no risk involved.

I am just hesitant about the surgery because of the recovery time and the length of time it takes to find out if the my hearing will be correct. Up to 4 months before I would know from what I have been reading. Then of course there is the risk of losing my hearing completely in the ear they do the surgery on OR even having to have the surgery redone later in life.

I am still planning on going to the surgeon just to find out more about the surgery, however since the insurance doesn't cover it I am still leaning towards NOT doing it anyway. I'll be post when I know more but it will not be til after Nov 14th.

Meanwhile I have been researching the Internet trying to find places with online support groups and what not but truly I have only found places for parents of deaf children or those who are completely deaf. So I decided to create a message board for everyone with hearing disorders no matter the type or age. If you are someone who has a hearing loss disorder or have a family member or friend who could benefit from some support please pass this on. You can find the message board here . I hope it can help someone such as myself.


Alexandria said...

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. I hope everything works out for the best hun!

Ambitious Blonde said...

Thanks Alex, it's been a rough few weeks and I am still in shock how bad my hearing really is. My family has to yell at me and my friends still don't really get it.