CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Transition

This week has been a busy week, and this will be the trend for the next several months until Summer.  It seems once it gets to be near Spring sports season, things just can't slow down.  Though this post has nothing to do with sports, I just wanted to point that out. 

So on Tuesday this week, we had a meeting with our local school to talk about phasing K out of Early Intervention/UCP and into the school system.  She will be turning 3 in May, so EI stops.  :( I hate that, because we love our therapist there and K has come so far since we started seeing them.  The purpose of this meeting was.....well I am not really sure to tell you the truth.  It seems everything they asked us could have been found in her records from UCP.  The case worker from UCP was there as well, so she could have just given them the information. 

I guess it was really just to talk about how they decide if your child can enter their program or if they will only qualify for one service etc.  They didn't tell us anything spectacular and I didn't feel like we left knowing anymore than we did before we got there.  They asked us what concerns we had for K, which was communication and mobility as that is what we are seeing EI for.  She seems to be pretty caught up on speech, but I could be wrong.  Her mobility is my biggest concern at the moment.  She can walk, yes.  However, it's still not without her falling down at times, or tripping because she is trying to move to fast etc.  I don't know if that is something she will outgrow in time, or if it will always be an issue. I guess only time and strength will tell. 

The lady running the meeting, asked if we wanted her fully evaluated, meaning all the "testing" they do and I said yes.  I would rather they go over everything than me assume she is doing well on something specific and she's not.  With our schools the delay has to be 30% in an area to qualify for services.  I and even our case worker at UCP do not think she will qualify.  Yay? I mean I should be happy that she doesn't, but on the other hand, I feel like we're stuck.  If she does qualify, we get services through the school free.  If she doesn't, and we want to continue Speech or PT, it will have to be out of pocket and our insurance doesn't pay much. :(

Our meeting for the evaluation is not until the 21st of March..... that's a long ways a way.   Then I think well if she doesn't qualify perhaps we'll do MMO twice a week, BUT registrations begin in Feb for the following fall.  See my dilemma? I don't want to spend money on registration fees to hold a spot for her and somehow she does qualify for services, because I don't have that kind of money to throw away.  On the other hand, if I don't register her, we may not get a spot in the fall if she does not qualify for school.  Am I talking in circles yet?

Sigh.

No comments: